Dunn*ck Family Genealogy

Compiled by Sue N. Haschemeyer   e-mail

 Main INDEX, Thomas Chart, Surname index,

 Given name index, Thomas in given name index

Thomas' children migrate
from Ohio to Mechanicsburg, Illinois
letter to Louesa J. Keys
Nov. 11, 1930

Rememberances of Elizabeth Eleanor (DUNNUCK), wife of Elijah HAMPTON, daughter of Elizabeth (DUNNUCK) KING, and granddaughter of Thomas (wife Eleanor GORSUCH). Mrs. Elizabeth HAMPTON was born in 1849 (I question this date of birth as her parents wed in August 1851, and her mother died in 1855.).

donated by Donna DUNNUCK

Aunt Lou referred to a "cousin Betty" Hampton at times in my youth but I never knew who she was. I now know she was our grandmother's cousin -- grandmother Sara Dunnuck Keys. The following is taken from a letter Aunt Lou received and has been kept with the genealogy papers.
November 11, 1930

My dear Miss Keys,

Mrs. Hampton asked me to copy all the data concerning the history of the family of Dunnuck that she had in her possession because her eyesight is failing and she canot see to read at all now and can scarcely get around, let alone doing any work. She has told me a few items and I will endeavor to tell them to you.

Mrs. Hampton has in her possession an old poplar chest which was made to bring her grandmother's (Eleanor Gorsuch Dunnuck) wedding outfit and bedding to Ohio when she was married.

Her grandfather told his children the name was O'Dunnuck in Scotland but was shortened to Dunnuck on arrival in the United States.

Nicholas Dunnuck * and family had moved from Ohio to Mechanicsburg, Il. (16 miles east of Springfield) and liked the country so well that two years later, he had persuaded seven other families, mostly relatives, to join him in Illinois. They came in twenty-one wagons and four buggies and it took them three weeks to make the journey. It rained every single day until the last day when they arrived. Your mother (Sara Dunnuck, Nov. 22, 1849) was born soon after their arrival.

The women of the crowd were in delicate health except for Aunt Ruth and Ella. These two women drove ahead each day and made arrangements for food and shelter for the night at wayside taverns and farm houses which made a business of keeping travelers. Whenever possible they obtained food and cooked for themselves. There were thirty-two children in the crowd. Only two of the places were provided with stoves and others had fireplaces and out-door ovens.

At one farmhouse where they stopped for the night, a half witted boy clad in clothes altogether too small for him greeted them with "Dad's sick tonight and I have got to act." He then picked up the stove lid-lifter and proceeded to explain how the new stove was to be used. The ladies were very much amused by his rediculously important airs and his odd sayings were repeated for days afterward.

The lamps they used were made by a blacksmith for one of the uncles who had invented them and the fuel was grease. They also had candle lanterns of tin with holes punched in pretty patterns on the half-round side and a pane of glass on the flat side.

Two of the families were not pleased with the country so they moved about various farms before they settled down.

Very soon after the arrival seven of the extra horses they had brought with them started off to reach their former home. Uncle Cross (Aunt Ruth's husband) took the swiftest horse and rode after them. After three days of hard riding he came to a man who told him that he thought that a neighbor of his would probably turn them into a field and hold them until the owners could come to get them. With renewed hope he hurried on. A snort and loud nicker from his own horse startled him. Then answering nickers came from the seven imprisoned horses which the kind farmer had turned into his own field.

Grandfather (Thomas Dunnuck - our great great grandfather) visited Illinois in 1844. One of his sons took him to Ottawa, Kansas over very rough and hilly road which was too hard for him. He drowned in 1845 back in Ohio while he was fishing and it was thought he was too weakened by the Kansas trip to be able to save himself when his boat capsized. The boat was seen floating in the river four days before the body was recovered. He had lived in Fairfield County and later in Ross County near Chillicothe, Ohio. Many of his private papers were on him and some were in the home and were lost.

Emanuel and David remained in Ohio. The older brother, Joshua, went to Ottawa, Kansas, where he held several offices and served as a representative in the State Legislature. (He was our great grandfather.)

*Nicholas Dunnuck had a flour mill.
Notes at bottom of page.
This letter was written to my Aunt Lou Keys (one of my Dad's sisters) who did all the family history tracing that's been done -- over a period of years. It's been retyped by my first cousing, Rhoda King, who lived for many years in the old family home in Normal (Illinois and I guess inherited Aunt Lou's original work. Thus the explaination aof relationships that's been added in. Dick.